Maine Lighthouses

Boon Island Light
This York lighthouse is located six miles out to sea from York Beach and is situated on a rock ledge. It was first built in 1811 and replaced in 1855. The 133 foot tower of gray granite is the tallest in the state. It is advised against visiting this isolated spot as it is always dangerous.

Cape Neddick Light (Nubble Light) – closest to The Beachmere Inn
This York lighthouse was built in 1879 and the tower is a 41 foot white cast-iron conical tower built on the summit of Cape Neddick Nubble, off Rt. 1A.

Goat Island Light
This Kennebunkport lighthouse was built in 1833 and restored in 1859. This cylindrical shaped cast-iron lighthouse rests on an exposed natural ledge foundation standing 25 feet high. It includes a boat house, oil house and a keeper’s quarters which is presently leased out to the public. It is accessible by boat only in Cape Porpoise Harbor.

Whaleback Light
This Kittery lighthouse was built in 1831 and restored in 1872. This conical shaped tower was built of gray granite and can be seen from Fort Foster in Kittery and can be accessed by boat in Portsmouth Harbor.

Wood Island Light
This Biddeford lighthouse marks the entrance to Saco Bay and was built in 1808 (only to be rebuilt in 1858). Its conical white tower is made of granite blocks and stands 49 feet high.


(as described by MEliving.com)